23rd Jun 2015 11:45
LONDON (Alliance News) - Protestors and pro-fracking groups have spoken out about two proposed sites in Lancashire that may be approved to be fracked by Cuadrilla Resources in a final decision expected later this week, according to The Guardian and The Telegraph.
An independent organisation which represents Cuadrilla Resources warned that rejecting the company's applications to frack two sites in Lancashire, UK, would lead to the country missing out on job creation and boosting the overall economy, reported the Guardian Monday.
Cuadrilla is at the forefront of the fracking argument in the UK after it submitted two applications to frack sites between Preston and Blackpool, with a final decision set to be made on Friday. If Cuadrilla gets approval, it will signal a major breakthrough for fracking in the UK.
However, that decision is based on whether or not Cuadrilla can drill, frack and test the flow of gas, but another permit would be needed to commence full fracking operations. Concerns that have so far been raised about the applications include the effect on the environment, traffic, house prices and the impact it would have on energy prices in the UK.
Planning officers at Lancashire council have recommended the application for a site at Preston New Road near Little Plumpton be passed, subject to a number of conditions being met, but plans for a similar site at Roseacre Wood should be turned down because of an increase in traffic.
The North West Energy Task Force is "independent" in understanding the "responsible extraction" of natural gas in Lancashire, but does represent Cuadrilla, with other members including a subsidiary of Centrica PLC and a variety of universities.
The Force said a rejection would send the message that the UK "was not open for business and investment," the Guardian reported.
"If we (Lancashire) say no to both sites, it will go to somebody else in the UK who are already prepared and ready to go, and they will take it all over and we will miss the opportunity," said the Force.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jun/22/fracking-campaigners-urge-lancashire-council-to-approve-cuadrilla-plans
On Tuesday, The Telegraph reported that anti-fracking groups have begun protesting outside the Lancashire council offices in Preston after the council's development control committee began meetings to discuss the applications.
The Telegraph said the council will firstly discuss the Preston New Road application, with a decision set to be made on Wednesday, before moving onto the Roseacre site application to make a final decision on both on Friday.
If councillors approve the plans, drilling could commence later this year and fracking could begin next summer, Francis Egan, Cuadrilla chief executive has said according to The Telegraph.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/fracking/11693026/Cuadrilla-fracking-plans-protests-ahead-of-Lancashire-council-vote.html
For AIM-listed companies, IGas Energy will be watching closely as it holds three shale exploration sites in the Midlands, just south of Cuadrilla's two proposed sites.
By Joshua Warner; [email protected]; @JoshAlliance
Copyright 2015 Alliance News Limited. All Rights Reserved.
Related Shares:
IGAS.L