Become a Member
  • Track your favourite stocks
  • Create & monitor portfolios
  • Daily portfolio value
Sign Up
Quickpicks
Add shares to your
quickpicks to
display them here!

Griffin's Chinese Operations Halted By Coronavirus Measures

5th Feb 2020 11:40

(Alliance News) - Griffin Mining Ltd on Wednesday said work at its Caijiaying mine has been restricted after the Chinese government halted all "non-essential business" until February 9 to temper the spread of the coronavirus.

Mining operations at the zinc, gold, silver and lead project remained suspended following the Lunar New Year holiday, the investor said last week.

Milling operations, using stockpiled ore, continued until January 30, Griffin explained.

Griffin added on Wednesday: "Underground workings at Caijiaying are being maintained on a care and maintenance basis with essential services, including pumping and ventilation, ongoing.

"Whilst all essential and senior Chinese staff remain at Caijiaying, all non-essential local staff have been sent home and placed on standby with the expectation of operations recommencing on February 9 as mandated by the Chinese authorities."

Shares in the company were 2.7% lower at 63.25 pence each in London on Wednesday morning.

Recent reports on Wednesday said the number of people infected in China by the coronavirus jumped to 24,000 and millions more were ordered to stay indoors.

The confirmed death toll in mainland China rose to 490 after hardest-hit Hubei province reported 65 more people had died.

By Eric Cunha; [email protected]

Copyright 2020 Alliance News Limited. All Rights Reserved.


Related Shares:

Griffin Mining
FTSE 100 Latest
Value8,474.74
Change0.00