Become a Member
  • Track your favourite stocks
  • Create & monitor portfolios
  • Daily portfolio value
Sign Up
Quickpicks
Add shares to your
quickpicks to
display them here!

Griffin Mining Fined For Mine Death, Operations To Restart Soon

11th Jan 2016 10:44

LONDON (Alliance News) - Griffin Mining Ltd on Monday provided shareholders with some much-needed good news from its Caijiaying mine in China following the death of one of its employees at the mine last year.

Griffin Mining said it has connected a 3.0 kilovolt mains power line to the mine site, allowing the miner to begin commissioning the new third main ball mill at the project, a type of grinder used to grind and blend materials before they are used to create various products.

The news follows on from the death of an employee of the mining contractor operating the mine in the middle of last year, which initially only saw operations suspended for a couple of weeks. However, in October, operations were suspended again so it could carry out an internal investigation into the death.

On Monday, Griffin said the Chinese state safety bureau has completed an investigation into the death and ruled that the primary cause of death was the poor quality cement provided. Griffin said all the safety recommendations made by authorities have been implemented, with operations expected to resume shortly.

As a result of the death, Griffin Mining has been fined CNY500,000, which equates to around GBP52,000.

Although operations have been suspended since mid-October, Griffin continued to process its stockpiled ore to maintain production rates.

Griffin Mining shares were trading down 0.4% to 24.65 pence per share on Monday morning.

By Joshua Warner; [email protected]; @JoshAlliance

Copyright 2016 Alliance News Limited. All Rights Reserved.


Related Shares:

Griffin Mining
FTSE 100 Latest
Value8,054.98
Change-419.76